Saturday, May 10, 2008

Forgetting Sarah Who?

I recently went to see a film called Forgetting Sarah Marshall.
I must say it is possibly one of the funniest movies i have seen in a long time, and that is easy to see since its by the same people who did 40 year old Virgin.
I was bitterly dissapointing in the TVC's that aired in Australia for this movie. (This is one that aired in the US)

The TV advertisements give this movie almost no credit. I knew it was going to be a crack up due to the main character, Jason Segal, being from my favourite tv show How I Met Your Mother.
My girlfriend had only seen the TVC's for Forgetting Sarah Marshall and based on them had an assumption that this movie was simply going to be a chick flick, so she was quite confused when i asked if she wanted to join me and a mate of mine to go see it.
The Ads give the movie absolutley NO credit as being a hilariously funny movie, rather it makes it seem like one of those chick flick movies that show all their funny bits in the ad's and the rest is just crap.
It is not often that movies are the other way round, in that their advertisements give away some of the average funny bits and save the best bits for the movie.

What i was unaware of was the massive billboard campaign that was launched for the movie which Peter Wagstaff of Marketing Today informed me of. Perhaps i was just driving around the wrong areas.

3 comments:

Rick Clarke said...

There were ads for this movie on those LCD billboard things in the student union building. Pretty forgettable though, just white with stuff like "I hate Sarah Marshall" and stuff like that written in black marker. Didn't strike my interest at all though, just made it sound like a chick flick. So definitely a poorly executed campaign!

Julian Cole said...

I was under the impression it was going to be a chick flick as well. I thought the ads did catch my attention however it did not scream great movie to me. I thought it was going to be an Australian Movie too, dont know why?

Zac Martin said...

It was a hilarious film.

Despite its "chick flick" appearance, it's still done reasonably well at the Box Office. Perhaps word of mouth has carried it through... would hate to think about how much money was wasted on the campaign.

"It's like Christ is between your legs but with a shorter beard."